Looking for advice on how to write a descriptive essay outline and thesis statement? Can’t find appropriate words for a powerful introductory paragraph to grab your reader’s attention and convince them to read your piece of writing to the end? Need an interesting descriptive essay topic? Can’t find answer the question how do my homework for me? Keep reading this easy guide or order good custom essay examples written by professional writers.
In this guide, we provide important information about a general paper structure, describe in details how to create an outline, introduction, main body paragraphs, and conclusion. This info can be useful for any writer.
If you lack experience and need support to complete strong essays describing a person or a place, follow this quick tutorial and check other articles on our blog. What is the key to success? You should focus on your subject and create a clear image in your readers’ minds to let them feel through their senses.
What Is Descriptive Essay?
The description is a powerful rhetorical strategy that uses sensory details to portray a thing, a place or a person. This type of essay asks students to describe something – situation, emotion, experience, place, person or object and allows a lot of artistic freedom for a writer whose purpose is to paint a vivid picture in the reader’s mind.
You should remember the main point. Your audience should be able to form a full impression of what you are trying to describe to them. If they can’t, you should try again. Wondering if it is possible to increase your productivity when doing homework assignments? Use one of the homework apps.
You can use descriptions in other specific types of academic writing or when you write other nonfiction works, including memoirs, profiles, biographies, travel writing and nature writing. Wondering how to start?
Choose an Engaging Topic
It’s the initial step of the challenging writing process. If your instructor didn’t give you a specific topic for your descriptive essay, you should select one you have a connection with. It should be related to your previous life experience.
Your task is to convey your thoughts to your audience and share your emotions by engaging all their five senses – sound, sight, taste, smell, touch. If you are passionate about the subject you are talking about, you achieve more success in conveying your main idea and able to find the right words in all your sentences to show your paper’s focus. Pick a topic you are interested in. Be creative!
You can choose from a wide variety of options and talk about:
Topics for Your Inspiration
If you are not sure what to discuss in your descriptive essay, you can select one of the essay questions from the list we have prepared for you. Don’t forget about creating a catchy title.
Place Essay Topics
- Depict an ancient castle
- Describe how you imagine the Beauty of Niagara Falls and the surrounding nature
- Make a description of a forest in winter
- Tell about the house of your dream
- Tell about your favorite store, providing a detail description of the products you can buy
Person Essay Topics
- Characterize your family member
- Explain how you imagine an average alien
- Tell about a famous person you are willing to meet in person
- Tell about the appearance of your best friend
- Portray Princess Diana
Memory Essay Topics
- Describe a concert of a famous star you attended and share your impressions about it
- Speak about the happiest day of your life
- Tell about your most memorable trip
- Describe the day which you remember from your earliest childhood
- Speak about a day when something funny happened
Object Essay Topics
- Depict a bouquet of beautiful flowers someone has presented you
- Tell about your favorite piece of furniture where you feel comfortable
- Talk about your best toy in childhood
- Describe your tablet to a time traveler from 1800s
- Detail objects in one room of your house to present a tour of it
Make an Outline
You need to structure your paper in a manner that can help you make sense. How can you do that? You’d better record your paragraphs in a chronological order and begin with more general ideas, providing more details later.
Start with creating a strong thesis statement you will support in your descriptive essay. Then brainstorm your ideas and make a list of sensory details that will support your thesis. Write them in separate columns. You can use a variety of literary tools:
- descriptive adjectives
Make your descriptive essay outline. List details you will be discussing in each paragraph of your paper. The structure of your descriptive essay has to include such parts as an introduction, the main body paragraphs, and a conclusion.
When working on your essay, you should follow these 4 steps
- Start your descriptive introductory paragraph with a hook. Provide some background information and end the introduction with a thesis.
- Create your body paragraphs. The length of your essay may vary depending on your topic. Begin each paragraph with a topic sentence which presents the key point, add supporting points and include sensory details appealing to all human senses. Use vivid figurative language to make your essay spicy.
- Craft a concluding paragraph. Restate your thesis and underline the significance of your topic.
- Revise your paper and edit it to improve the content and the style. Polish the final draft and check grammar and spelling.
Many experienced writers follow this process.
When creating a description, don’t be afraid to use your own words because nobody likes to read descriptions that sound like a textbook. Use creativity. Don’t just tell somebody how something looks like.
You should tell your audience how it feels, sounds, smells, tastes or sounds. If you are not sure you can complete your descriptive essay on your own, you can find advice on our blog and rely on professional help from our writers who can provide you with the best model papers that will help you get the grades you deserve.